It is our pleasure to welcome our students back to school. We would like to extend a special welcome to the students and families who are new to our school this year. We hope you had a refreshing summer so that you can return to school routine with lots of energy.
The first day of school is Tuesday September 4th. The school is open from 7:30am to 6:30pm. Classes start at 09:00am and last until 05:00pm.
Please review the following points to help you have an easy and smooth start:
- Please visit our website and on the homepage you will find a link to the “Parents Handbook”. In the handbook you will find all the information you need about school regulations, policies, and answers to all your questions.
- This year our school routine is:
09:00-10:00 – Lesson 1
10:00-11:00 – Lesson 2
(from 10:45-11:00 – snack time)
11:00-12:00 – Lesson 3
12:00-01:00 – Lesson 4 / 12:00-12:30 - outdoor for grades 1-2 / 12:30-01:00 – lunch for grades 1-2
01:00-02:00 – Lunch and outdoor for grades 3-8
02:00-03:00 – Lesson 5
03:00-04:00 – Lesson 6
04:00-5:00 – Lesson 7
05:00—6:00 – Homemade delicious snacks
- UMCA provides a complimentary breakfast to its Elementary students from 08:30-08:50. If you are unable to bring your child to school in time for breakfast, please ensure that your child has been fed a healthy meal prior to starting their school day. The students have access throughout the day to fresh fruits
- Friday is “bring your own snack and lunch” day. We strongly recommend you to follow the Canada’s Food Guide to learn about healthy options for your child. UMCA is also a nut free facility so please avoid sending your child with any nuts/peanuts ingredients.
- Please send your child every day with a labeled water bottle. The bottles will be refilled with the fountain water as soon as they are emptied.
- Each student has a personal account on the UMCA website. Through this account you can see messages the teachers or other students sent, forum announcements, homework, grades, quizzes etc. If you don’t know how to log in, or if you’re facing any difficulty navigating your online account, please contact the office.
- The summer homework is due on September 8th. The mark of the summer homework will be part of the first unit’s mark. Make sure you hand it out on time.
- To ensure your child’s success in school we strongly recommend conducting a healthy lifestyle in which the child gets sufficient sleeping hours, healthy meals and avoid spending time on electronic devices. This will help your child being alert and focused during classes and all school activities.
- Sport and tennis are compulsory classes that must be attendant by every student. All students are required to change into the sport uniform for the sport class. Sport uniform will be provided during the first week. Please keep 2 white UMCA t-shirts in your locker. All students must have sport shoes for sport class.
- All students must have access to a computer as all our communication as well as homework, quizzes, tests, and other working packages are posted on line.
- This year we continue with the successful “Hatch” Program for grades 3-7. Please note that your child needs to bring his computer to school. Grades 2-3 will have “Logic” classes. No computers are required for this class.
- Occasionally, hard copies will be handed to students, however, please check the website diligently as homework will be posted on line.
- Each student will have a locker. Please make sure that your locker is ALWAYS clean and tidy and your backpack is well organized. Make sure you don’t leave food in the locker. Walking in school premises with outdoor shoes is strictly forbidden. Please make sure you have a pair of indoor shoes in your locker and a bag to put the outdoor shoes in.
- All grades have outdoor activities in their everyday schedules. It is mandatory that your child will participate in these activities. Please make sure he/she is dressed properly for the weather (hat, winter jacket, gloves, scarf, winter boots for winter, hat, sun screen in the summer).
- This studying year students will have great opportunities to take part in different trips. The trips include visits to the Mivrish Theatre, Toronto Zoo, ROM and many more. Please check the school events calendar on the website to be aware of upcoming trips. Trips are considered to be a part of the curriculum and are required for all students. Students are asked to wear their UMCA sweatshirt for every school trip.
- All appointments with Ms. Suzana must be booked in advance. Please don’t drop by the office without a scheduled appointment.
- The Communication Book which will be located at the school entrance will be the platform on which you will be able to communicate with the school administration.
We are looking forward to seeing you on September 4th and we wish you a successful and productive school year.